Dr. David Amen "Change Your Brain, Change Your Life."
Many things hurt the brain's functioning agility and ability,
- Brain Injuries: This is a "no brainer."
- Drugs & alcohol: people believe that 2 glasses of red wine helps the heart... well it also hurts the brain.
- Obesity: The scientists found that people with both higher BMI (defined as equal to or greater than 30 kg/m2) and higher waist-to-hip ratio measurements had lower grey matter volume in the brain compared to those who were leaner.
- Smoking: Hurts everything.
- High Blood Pressure: As blood pressure goes up, blood flow to the brain goes down. Know your blood pressure on a regular basis: take high blood pressure seriously.
- SAD:: Standard American Diet
- Environmental Toxins
- Lack of exercise
- ANTs: Automatic Negative Thoughts - these are the seeds to anxiety disorders and depression.\
WHAT DO WE DO THEN?:
- Positive Social Connections: The people you spend time with, determine your longevity. Hang out with people with healthy habits.
- Always learn something new: When you stop learning, your brain starts to disconnect itself.
- Have a good diet: Consume helpful nutrients, rather than toxins.
- The Standard American Diet is associated with cancer, heart disease, diabetes, depression, attention issues, AND Alzheimer's.
- Sleep: Less than 7 hours of sleep = lower blood flow to the brain.
- When sleep is low, cravings go high = weight control issues.
*** IF YOU START MAKING CHANGES TODAY, YOU CAN IMPROVE YOUR BRAIN FUNCTIONING WITHIN A COUPLE OF MONTHS!